Busy week here in leafy Sheffield, so this edition of Unslush comes in one of my somewhat tighter link-sharing formats. Still full of golden writerly nuggets though.
Speaking of which, before we crack on, new subscribers may be interested in some of the following posts published here in the last few months. Heck, old subscribers, you might've missed them too.
- Platforms for selling products, memberships and online courses
- 101 things you need to know before going freelance
- Three writing apps I use every day
- 14 alternatives to writing
- How to start a book group
That's it. Scroll on and enjoy what you find below. And don't forget to tell all your mates about this newsletter. We're on for reaching 1000 subscribers at some point soon. Imagine!
PS: Image above is from a Pinterest board packed with famous writing desks!
Links of the week
Every issue I collect and share the best advice, apps and other shenanigans that I find on my internet travels. Find something useful? Subscribe for free.
- Kurt Vonnegut on how to write a short story – concise advice for any writer
- Ten rules for writing fiction – famous writers offer 10 tips and much wisdom
- Novel planning template for Airtable – spreadsheet-based outlining
- How to do an essay collection – agent Kate McKean explains how it works
- Why Goodreads is bad for books – Sarah Manavis on the mess that is Goodreads
- Greg Pak on how to write a comic book script – Marvel author reveals all
- Does the Pomodoro Technique really work? – does for me (helps with chunking)
- Character Name Generator – prepare to lose 30 minutes of your day
- How to write during a pandemic – it can't be done! (okay fine, maybe it's just me)
- The anatomy of a six-figure email course – marketing tips galore, whatever you're selling
Help us grow 🌱
If you enjoy this newsletter, there are three things you can do to help it (us!) grow and reach more people. Which would be lovely.
- Share it with someone else. Forward the email. Post on social.
- Click/tap the little ❤️ icon there at the bottom. It actually helps.
- Subscribe for free.
Tweets of the week
Join 900+ other fine people and subscribe for free to get the best writing and publishing-related links sent straight to your inbox. Learn more and sign up.
Join 1600+ super subscribers
I send two regular newsletters. Draft Mode (biweekly) is about the writing process, writing resources, creativity and being an author. Minifictions (monthly) features five original pieces of flash fiction.
Sign up once. Choose your newsletters.Subscribe now