It's a cheeky weekend newsletter this week.
Seeing everyone on Twitter talking about how much TV they are watching at the moment made me think about this piece of tiny flash fiction I wrote a few years ago. It was illustrated and collaged by my artist/designer pal, Rich Wells.
Here’s the text:
These days, I watch TV and think about the different places that I’d rather be than here with you until, almost always, I remember some occasion when together we were sad and then – slowly – I am pulled from the weeds, all at once in love again.
I have nothing else to say this week apart from I hope you're all right and being creative where you can. Enjoy the links below. Follow me on Twitter.
Links of the week
Every issue I collect and share the best advice, apps and other shenanigans that I find on my internet travels. Find something useful? Subscribe for free.
- Highlighted – this clever app uses text recognition to let you scan real-life books then save passages alongside notes and tags
- 11 Writing Lessons I Learnt from Masterclass – an article full of nuggets learned from some of the literary world's most famous names
- Chirr App: Twitter thread maker – this is a great tool for writing threads on Twitter and being able to save them as drafts is very useful indeed
- 12 great interviews with authors and publishing types – this series of webinars on The Empowered Author is fantastic ( they are free but you need to subscribe by email)
- Music That’s Perfect for Working – this from Kottke.org to go with my own albums to write to
- How children’s books have changed in 20 years – important and interesting read, especially if you write for children
- Podcasts for Readers & Writers – it's a short list, but you might find something (did I tell you the Write for Your Life podcast is back online)
- StickyList – incredibly basic to-do app that acts as a digital Post it note
- How to Remember Something for the Rest of Your Life – a simple idea, but I really love it
- Microsoft Word now flags two spaces after a period as an error – 🎉🎉🎉
Help us grow 🌱
If you enjoy this newsletter, there are three things you can do to help it (us!) grow and reach more people. Which would be lovely
- Share it with someone else. Forward the email. Post on social.
- Click/tap the little ❤️ icon there at the bottom. It actually helps.
- Subscribe for free.
Tweets of the week
Join hundreds of other fine people and subscribe for free to get the best writing and publishing-related links sent straight to your inbox. Learn more and sign up.
Join 1600+ super subscribers
I send two regular newsletters. Draft Mode (biweekly) is about the writing process, writing resources, creativity and being an author. Minifictions (monthly) features five original pieces of flash fiction.
Sign up once. Choose your newsletters.Subscribe now